[Image from Yahoo]
And so the Budget 2013 report is out. The one bright spot in Budget 2013 — Finance Minister Tharman.
Let me sum it up for you.
Tharman: "Budget 2013 aims to create a better Singapore with quality growth & an inclusive society."
All we heard: "Cannot buy car liao!!!"
I want to begin by thanking car owners for contributing to our multi-billion-dollar surplus. Your gahmen thanks you by asking you to pay even more now.
All this prompted me to think of what we can do to stretch our dollar. Hence #SGBudgetSavers:
1. @mrbrown: I use the other end of a cotton bud after my wife used one end for makeup.
2. @mrbrown: I added a Turbo sticker to my mother's car to make it look like new. (Each "Turbo" sticker adds one horsepower.)
3. @mrbrown: I ordered Ice Kosong at the kopitiam and brought my own ice. Side note: Today I found out Ice Kosong is called Hang Cheng Pai (行情坏) at the kopitiam. How apt!
4. @mrbrown: I told my kids to use both sides of the toilet paper.
5. @mrbrown: I told my kids the cardboard tube of the toilet roll is also usable paper.
6. @mrbrown: A diaper isn't full until it almost explodes.
7. @lupcheong: At Starbucks, on top of bringing my own mug, I also brought my own coffee then ask for warm water.
8. @mrbrown: I haven't bought a bottle of ketchup in years. I am still living off the packets I took home a few years ago.
9. @WhatTannaSaid: I use the tissue people used to chope their tables at kopitiams.
10. @mrbrown: I chope table with used tissue paper.
11. @kinwah56: I use the water from washing my hair with shampoo to wash my body to save on body foam. (Then after that, use to water plants. -mb)
12. @madame_siti: Must learn how to use public toilet before heading home, so that we save water by not flushing at home.
13. @fuuko4869: The awkward moment when you actually do all the money-saving habits that @mrbrown jokes about #SGBudget ._.
14. @mrbrown: I couldn't get Jay Chou concert tickets so I mumbled his songs to myself.
15. @dinnie: I'm going to use hot milk from the company's cappuccino machine for my breakfast cereal.
16. @yitzhakkhoo: The total water consumption for one bath session at home is 2 wet tissues. For a family of 4.
17. @mrbrown: I told the kids to bathe at the school toilet sink before coming home.
18. @mrbrown: I bought a t-shirt with Japanese words I don't understand but it was on sale.
19. @ShunfuMart: I make my own NEWater at home using a funnel and filter paper.
20. @lupcheong: I actually wore all my father's clothes and glasses for retro night instead of buying at Haji Lane.
21. @KWSW83: Instead of paying for gym membership, I fail IPPT & go for RT. 20 sessions of work out & I get paid.
22. @mrbrown: I sell Candy Crush lives instead of giving them away for free. Wanna live? Pay up.
23. @mrbrown: You can wear one underwear five times. Ask any army Sergeant to show you how.
24. @mrbrown: Save money on an Ah Boys to Men movie: redo National Service.
25. @mrbrown: I'm going to take this $250 Budget 2013 drumstick from gahmen and keep it for the rainy day when they ask for a chicken back.
26. @darrylho: I watch EPL for free at kopitiam by sitting at tables where the plates haven't been cleared.
27. @jennyteo: Record ministerial speeches and replay them during cold nights for free hot air. (Or as sedatives. -mb)
28. @mrbrown: Every CNY, I refurnish my home by hanging out at lift lobbies.
29. @monatomic: Am trying not to pee in my pants from laughing too hard at #SGBudget #SGBudgetSavers tips (Don't waste NEWater! -mb)
30. @mrbrown: Save on cable TV. Watch Korean dramas by looking over the shoulder of train commuters.
31. @mrbrown: You see hand-dryer. I see laundry savings.
32. @ImranJohri: Bite half the satay. Put back. Repeat. All half-satays left? Restart! Double your pleasure.
33. @TommyWee: Eating the leaf that wraps the otah.
34. @mrbrown: It just rained heavily. I just had a free shower at my office open air area.
35. @ImranJohri: Put on your old uniform and eat at your primary school canteen. "What! Nasi lemak is no longer 50cents?!"
36. @ImranJohri: Make triangle newspaper-hat. Cut two holes. Disposable undies. (Cut bigger holes… tadaa! G-string! -mb)
37. @ImranJohri When ordering nasi padang, tell the makcik, "Your sambal's so sexy" Confimed got extra sambal - or sexy, depends.
38. @mrbrown: Instead of a car, I will ride a pony.
39. @vinyarb: Watch the entire Tomb Raider gameplay walkthrough on youtube instead of buying the game.
40. @mrbrown: Speak Singaporean Hokkien. Get discount from aunties. Win. [Image via the very funny Sibey Nostalgic]
41. @orbigood: Go to Google Earth and zoom in from space. No need spend money on skydiving.
42. @mrbrown: Buy one plate of sushi. Whack the wasabi and pickled ginger (sari) until you are full.
43. @mrbrown: Wipe bicycle rims with the wet wipe after wiping face.
44. @ernchang: Poop at work before going home. No need to scrub toilet. Guess where I'm tweeting from.
45. @mrbrown: I once saw an advanced #SGBudgetSavers auntie at a fast food outlet. She drank 30% of her soft drink & asked for an ice top-up.
46. @mrbrown: Ask for the curry gravy at the Chai Png stall. Hope to get a stray piece of chicken, potato or veggie.