Read this news report today: S’pore must be on guard against online threats.
In it, Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen warned against… wait for it… DRUMS (Distortions, Rumours, Untruths, Misinformation and Smears).
Yes, they came up with an bloody ACRONYM for this.
Since gahmen came up with DRUMS, I wondered what other acronyms we could use to help them in their online fight against the demons of teh internets:
1. Fraudulent Activities, Rumours Threats and Sedition (FARTS)
2. Anyhowly Login Always Malign Accurate Knowledge (ALAMAK)
3. Threats Untruths Rumours Distortions and Smears (TURDS)
4. People Attacking People (PAP)
5. Fear-mongering, Antagonizing, Perpetuating Smears (FAPS)
6. Distortions Online Negating Good Situations (DONGS)
7. Disturbing Incriminations Crippling Knowledge Systems (DICKS)
I think if Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen used one of my suggestions, his quote from the news report would read:
"In a tense and volatile situation, Fraudulent Activities, Rumours Threats and Sedition (FARTS) can spread very far and wide and even cause confusion and chaos. Those who would do us harm will purposely start FARTS to weaken our resolve and cause disunity,” he said.
“We have to learn how to respond to FARTS, both as a Government and the people. The authorities must have a quick response plan. At the same time, the people themselves must be more discerning about the information that they read on the Internet. Singaporeans themselves can respond or counter and stop the spread of FARTS."