[Photo via Asiaone]
Happy Birthday, Singapore! May we remain forever kaki, forever buddy, forever family! Here were some tweets from yesterday as my extended family, more than ten of us, gathered to watch the NDP over dinner.
1. Wah got Kopitiam aunties contingent at #NDP2013! (Seen during the parade)
2. My whole family are "Ah"-Ing to the 雾锁南洋 theme song.
3. Wah government-approved skateboarders!
4. Wah the Merlion got so seasick from swimming to the NDP that he merlioned!
5. How come got song about Jurong, Chinatown and Little India but not Hougang ah?
6. Go Laurentia Tan! (So happy to see her honoured at NDP!)
7. Wo-oh-oh-oh time!
8. Lekuasimiiii! Sing with me! #NDP2013 (as they played a medley with "What Do You See" in it)
9. I liked the national anthem arrangement at the end of #NDP2013 Very soulful! (It was our Superbowl moment.)
And the highlight of the evening:
10. "Lee Kuan Yew's bodyguard is very handsome young man hor!" -saith the women in my family. (See the yandao fellow in the photo above. Some said he is the doctor not the bodyguard though.)
"…mrbrown’s stripped-down acoustic rendition of “Forever Family” is particularly refreshing to the ears.
Together with his friend and poet Marc Nair, mrbrown encapsulates the typical experiences of Singaporeans -- national service, queueing and taking exams -- in just one song.
The chorus is particularly touching, with the lyrics “You and me, forever kaki (meaning close companions in Singlish), you and me, forever buddy. Even though we different daddy, different mummy, you and me, forever family.”"
Thank you for the love!