It has been a while since I posted about Faith, so I thought it would be good to share some recent photos. She is all of 17 years old now, and not the little girl that many of you may remember her.
Since it was Deepavali, and a public holiday yesterday, and we decided to take Faith out to town for a little outing. Her younger brother and younger sister all had their own teenage programmes, so it was just me, mommy, Auntie Marian and Faith.
It doesn’t take very much to make her happy. An MRT ride to Dhoby Ghaut, a little window shopping, a snack at Mos Burger, and then another train ride home.
Her autism didn't cause her to act up in the train or the mall, which was good. She did, however, have a very strong desire to enter stores with loud music playing (she would stand near the speakers for a bit, listening), and she would drag us to places where there were holes and repeat patterns on the wall.
She enjoyed squeezing the squeeze toys in a shop, so mommy let her play with those for a while.
She was all smiles today. And that made us smile too.
I has been a while since I have given a talk. I think at least four years. So I was very chuffed to present at the National Library over the weekend, as part of their Our Published Heritage series. I thought the title "Rise of the Blogfather" was very cute.
Thank you all for coming to my talk at the National Library on a rainy Saturday afternoon! It was great to share my stories with you!
Sorry if I didn’t get a chance to speak with all of you guys more after the event. It was so wonderful to touch base with you!
I was particularly happy to have my wife and two younger kids present too, as well as old friends and family members, coming down to support my little talk. And the 200-300 of you too.
21 years of doing mrbrown stuff online. How time flies.
[Top photo of me by the other Blogfather, Winston Tay. Thanks, dude!]
2. Site is down because they are having a sale and the site cannot cope.
3. Come back to the site another day when the sale frenzy is over.
4. Find and book ticket.
5. Next screen: Airline asks you to choose their bundle.
6. Select flight only. Dowan bundle.
7. Next screen: Airline asks you to choose Luggage options. Skip luggage because you are Hand Carry only.
8. Next screen: Airline asks you to choose their overpriced food.
9. Skip food, it’s only a three-hour flight.
10. Next screen: Airline asks you to choose your seats.
11. Spend a few minutes looking for way to skip choosing seats because you don’t want to pay. Finally find the button. Continue without choosing seat. You will chance it because it’s only a three-hour flight.
12. Next screen: Payment Page. You notice your flight price is $20 more than you expected. You begin your CSI.
13. After a few minutes, you realize the extra $20 is the travel insurance. Which was automatically added without you selecting it. And you had to scroll down to find it. You deselect the Insurance option. Warnings of Hellfire and Dire Consequences are shown. You ignore said warnings because you already have your own travel insurance. You deselect the Insurance.
14. You notice a checkbox to get an SMS alert on your flight. It costs $2. You laugh at the sheer audacity of the airline to charge for a stupid SMS.
15. Payment Page again. This time the price of the flight is exactly what you saw when you first booked it. Nothing extra. Nothing more. Nothing less. You choose payment options.
16. Credit Card: $10 to $20 per person per flight.
17. eNETs: $8 per person per flight.
18. Post Office or SAM or 7-Eleven: $5 per person per flight.
19. You choose the cheapest option because you want to save money. Then realize you can’t because that requires you to book 14 days in advance. You can only choose the credit card option.
20. You give up and book a full-service airline out of sheer frustration because it sucks to be nickel-and-dimed, and to have things like travel insurance foisted on you without your knowledge. Also, you realize that often, the full-service airline is only a few bucks more by the time you add the options of a LCC Airline. And why do you have to pay to pay for your ticket???
You know, I actually enjoyed Escape Plan 1. It wasn’t a work of art but for a brainless two hours, it was okay. At least it had the novelty of Stallone and Arnie in it.
But Chinese-funded Escape Plan 2: Hades, sinks to a new low. They basically took Stallone’s name and plonked it into a shell of a movie that shares the first two words of the title.
The CG was a joke. The story was a mess. And the acting was just lots of frowning and sweating closeups of the Chinese leads, one of whom is Angelababy’s husband.
Without Arnie, and with Stallone playing almost a cameo role, we are stuck with Angelababy’s Husband as a member of Stallone’s team stuck in an ever-changing high-tech prison.
The Chinese leads are prisoners in the “high-tech” prison where prisoners fight for time in the “sanctuary”. At one point, the lead actor starts a fight and all the prisoners are “zapped”. There is a cheapo “lightning” effect and the cameraman actually shakes to make it look like the prisoners are being electrocuted.
That made me laugh out loud.
It’s a movie that you should not even try to watch for free on your illegal China Android TV box because you can’t get your money back from the producers to pay you for your wasted time, like an oBike deposit.
Instead of calling it Escape Plan: Hades, they should have called it Escape Plan: What the Hell.
You will wish you had an Escape Plan if you watch this sequel. Tellingly, it went straight to VOD in the US. I think it should go straight into the VCD discount bin.
Inspired by this article about a popular local photographer and instagram influencer, Daryl Aiden Yow, whose photos were found to look a lot like other people's, Kim Huat also decided to share his passion for his travel photography.
Kim Huat says he is Singapore's Number One International Travel Influencer and Photographer. He is happy to share his winning game in travel photography and can help you get your Instagram game on point. He spends many hours waiting to make these photos happen!
Kim Huat really really went to this Greece island call Mykonos. He feels like he shot it with a Sony A7RII camera!
Kim Huat spent hours waiting for this moment in Santorini! Then this charbor come and block his view! Chow turtle!
Kim Huat is a son of the beach and loves to wear his sexy beach wear and lie on the beach like those travel babes.
Los Angeles is where Kim Huat goes sunset chasing x.
Faroe Islands got so many houses like Lego Houses! Faroe is faroe faroe away!
Cherry blossom time inside Thailand. Or Japan. Or Taiwan. Kim Huat cannot remember which. Because Kim Huat travels everywhere and is an International Man of Mystery!
When Kim Huat was in New Zealand, he saw the stars. Kim Huat used a Apple Pencil to point at them. It was as if the sky was my blackboard.
Kim Huat went to South Pole and saw these cute penguins! It was so sunny there that he could just wear his favourite t-shirt!
Kim Huat loves the Mehlweg mountain near the town of Marktschellenberg in Bavaria! Such vastness reminds Kim Huat of just how little we are in this world! Do you feel the same?!
Kim Huat turns up the heat in the Sahara desert. His OOTD is on fleek here, because sleeveless is the way to go, when you are in the scorching heat of the desert. Hey, why the camels did not wait for Kim Huat??
Kim Huat can't get enough of Japan, and Shirakawa-Go in winter is his favourite place. Hey kids, why you don't tell Kim Huat where the toilet is?
No place is too far for our intrepid travel influencer. Not even space! Kim Huat is out of this world!
Kim Huat has not just gone as north as Woodlands, he has also seen the Northern Lights! Kim Huat was absolutely awestruck! To quote many Singapore Instagram XMM, the Northern Lights "never fail to disappoint"!
As you can see, Kim Huat is a well-traveled influencer who makes awesome photographs. Just like many Instagram Influencers.