I am starting this post to collect all information on Singaporean relief efforts in one place. This is so that readers can decide where they can help in money, in kind, or in personal involvement. Post in the comments section or email me and I will add it there. I will moderate this post and its contents. I will also need help from readers to separate the real ones from the bogus ones as well.
Include details like:
Name of Organisation
Name and Contact of Contact Person
Details of Relief Effort (URL if available)
Here are some relief efforts that I know of (I will update this as much as I can):
2. Singapore Red Cross Society (You can also deposit directly into RED CROSS TIDAL WAVES ASIA from your DBS Internet Banking service)
3. Ananda Travel & Sri Lankan Airlines are appealing for donations to be airlifted to Sri Lanka (until 2 Jan 2005). Those interested can send the donations to:
133 Cecil Street
#13-02 Keck Seng Tower
36 Robinson Road
#01-01 City House
4. Reliefweb has a page that with updates on relief efforts in South Asia.
5. SEA-EAT blog (The South-East Asia Earthquake and Tsunami) has a page with information on resources, aid, donations and volunteer efforts around the world.
6. Mercy Relief. In response to this humanitarian crisis, Mercy Relief and its institutional partners – Singapore Soka Association (SSA) & Young Sikh Association (YSA) – together with the Singapore Red Cross Society (SRCS) are conducting a nationwide fundraising campaign for the victims of the calamity. (They take donations via Cheque, a 1-900 number, Credit Cards and Internet Banking).
7. Buddhist Fellowship's Firefly Mission, together with Tisarana Buddhist Association and Brahm Education Centre are launching a Suffering Relief Program for the Tidal Wave victims in Sri Lanka.
We appeal to you for 3 types of assistance:
1. Donation of items: Medicine, first aid items, sanitary pads, toothbrush, toothpaste, tin food, dry food and CLEAN (new if possible) blankets, towels and clothes.
Please pack them in bags or boxes and label them separately, eg.Food, Blankets, medicine. Clothes to be separated and labeled MALE, FEMALE and CHILDREN bag. Boxes are preferred but please do NOT seal.
ALL items are to be sent to Tisarana Buddhist Association at 90 DUKU Road, Off STILL Road (East Coast). Tisarana Buddhist Association contact number is 6345 6741.
2. Donation of cash. Cash donations are collected to Brahm Education Centre. Cheques are to be made payable to Brahm Education Centre Ltd.
Cash or Cheque made payable to "Brahm Education Centre Ltd" are to be sent to Brahm Education Centre, 9 Lor 29 Geylang #04-02, Singapore 388065.
Please indicate "Suffering Relief Program" on the back of the cheque. Receipts of items purchased for the victims with the cash donations will be collated and accounts on how the funds are dispensed will be available for inspection at the end of the project.
3. A team of volunteers is being arranged to go to the disaster sites headed by Firefly Mission Coordinators, to assist with the Relief Suffering Program on the ground by educating the victims on hygiene, precautions and dispensation of aid. Anyone interested to join this team, please submit your name to Judy Soon at [email protected] Trip is likely to be during the first weekend of January, to be confirmed.
Please forward this appeal to your friends who may also wish to assist or participate in this program.
May the victims of this disaster in the various countries be blessed with the kindness and generosity from around the world.
May the Blessings of the Triple Gem shower upon you and your families always.
If you have any questions, please call us at 68426422 or 6745 5007.
Vice President, Public Affairs, Buddhist Fellowship
Chairman, Brahm Education Centre
9. Graduate Christian Fellowship
If you are making a donation using your personal cheque, kind write a cheque to FESIM (which stands for Fellowship of Evangelical Students Indonesia Ministry - an affiliate to GCF). Please indicate your name, contact no, address (so that they can issue you an acknowledgement) and "Tsunami Donation".
Mail it to
496 Upper Bukit Timah Road #04-22
John Wesley Centre
If you are making your donation via ATM or Internet-banking, kind transfer your fund to:
033-900597-5 DBS Autosave corporate Account
Remember to send an email to [email protected] and indicate your name, contact no, account, amount transferred and date of transfer (for easy fund identification), and indicate that the donation is designated as "Tsunami Donation" so that they can acknowledge your donations, otherwise the donation will go to FES-IM General Fund.This account will only be opened for 1 week and the last day for your donation will be on 4 Jan 2005.
Source: New Straits Times
Contributions can be sent to the New Straits Times or Berita Harian at:
31, Jalan Riong,
59100 Kuala Lumpur
and cheques should be made out to New Straits Times Press Berhad. On the reverse side of the cheque, please write "NST-BH Malaysian Tsunami Disaster Fund."
Source: The Star
WE ARE launching The Star Earthquake/Tsunami Relief Fund in association with the Malaysian Red Crescent Society (MRCS) and Mercy Malaysia.
The public can send their cheques to our headquarters at
15 Jalan 16/11, Section 16,
46350 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia,
or to our Penang office at:
The Star Northern Hub in Penang at
202 Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah,
11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang.
If you want to donate to MRCS, please write your cheque to Malaysian Red Crescent Society and mark “Tidal Waves Victims” at the back of the cheque.
If you want to donate to Mercy Malaysia, please make your cheque to Mercy Humanitarian Fund with “South-East Asia Earthquake Appeal” written on the back of the cheque.
The Star will hand over the cheques to the respective organisations at the end of the appeal campaign.
Source: Palan Merah
Palang Merah (Red Cross) -
Help Aceh People
Bank BCA Menara Bidakara
account name Kantor Pusat Palang Merah Indonesia
Kompas dan TV7 membuka kesempatan bagi yang ingin turut meringankan beban masyarakat yang tengah menderita di Aceh dan Sumut, dengan mengirimkan bantuannya melalui rekening atas nama PT Kompas Media Nusantara/DKK-Bencana Aceh di dua bank. Masing-masing di Bank BNI Jakarta Kota nomor rekening 001.007.55555.1001, dan Bank BCA Gajah Mada nomor rekening 012.3016600.
Jika berupa uang tunai, sumbangan dapat disampaikan langsung ke
Gedung Kompas Unit II Lantai IV, Jalan Palmerah Selatan 26-28,
Selain itu, dapat pula disampaikan ke
Gedung Perintis Lantai II, Jalan Kebahagiaan Nomor 4,
Semuanya diserahkan pada jam kerja.
Sumbangan untuk DKK-Bencana Aceh dibuka selama 14 hari, mulai 28 Desember 2004 hingga 14 Januari 2005.
12. The National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre has a comprehensive list here
13. Aceh - City Harvest Community Services Association
A team of seven workers consisting of a doctor, nurses and volunteers have departed for Aceh, Indonesia on 28 December 2004 to help in administrating medical help and supplies.
Another two teams will be departing on 31 December 2004 and on 4 January 2005 respectively.
Please call City Harvest at 6737-6266 for more details.
14. Temasek Junior College
Calling all TJCians, present and past, and all friends!
If you wish to donate to the victims of the Asian quake and tsunami disaster, please drop by at Temasek Junior College. The Leo Club of TJC will be setting up a booth to collect the cash or cheque donations. Donations of more than $10 will come with receipts and a complimentary bottle of mineral water. All amounts will be appreciated. All cash collected will be channeled to the Singapore, Red Cross Society. For cheques, please make payable to "Singapore, Red Cross Society".
Date/Time: 30 Dec 04 (Thurs): 8am to 6 pm, 31 Dec 04 (Fri): 8 am to 3 pm
Venue: TJC cafeteria
15. 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami Disaster Relief
How we can help from Singapore
16. Singapore Sinhala Association packing volunteers needed
Just updated this and the Singapore Sinhala Association urgently need volunteers to help with packing.
Two of the monks, Ven P Piyananda and Ven Dr K Gunaratana will travel to Sri Lanka to personally deliver all donations and goods received from Singapore to the Sri Lanka Ministry of Foreign Affairs and work with the officials in the ministry to directly deliver the donations and goods received to the affected victims.
If you wish to more on how to help, kindly contact:
SINGAPORE SINHALA ASSOCIATION : Tel: 6733 7323
VEN P PIYANANDA (Senior Resident Monk) : Tel: 6391 0031
VEN K RATHANASARA (Resident Monk) : Tel: 6391 0031
VEN DR K GUNARATANA (Religious Adviser) : Tel: 9675 1695
Or email to Singapore Sinhala Association: [email protected]
or fax to Singapore Sinhala Association: 6512 5301
YMCA is mobilising volunteers to help out in the disaster-stricken areas.
The areas of service of the volunteers will be :
(i) to provide medical help;
(ii) to comfort those who have lost their loved ones;
(iii) to facilitate relief organizations who need general helpers;
(iv) to assist in distribution of food/clothing etc.
(Maximum no. of days recommended for volunteers to be stationed in Sri Lanka is 6 days. New groups will go to Sri Lanka to replace the returning volunteers on a rotational basis.)
Criteria for volunteers who sign up :
(i) People with a heart for people; medically and physically fit;
(ii) Age requirement - Minimum of 21 years and above.
Volunteers may have to pay for their own airfare which will be subsidized by Sri Lanka Airlines
NVPC is also running a volunteer registration scheme. Sign up with the form provided.
Volunteers may also want to sign up at the Volunteers SEA-EAT Yahoo Group
18.UOB Internet Banking
UOB customers can now donate via Internet and phone banking. Details at UOB's site.