Update: Anna Wonkytong's blog has also been hacked into. I suggest all of you take some precautions and change the passwords for your blog and emails accounts, just to be safe. Especially if your passwords were easy to guess. Some script kiddie out there is trying to show off.
Last night, some wanker, with too much free time and a whole lot of malice, hacked into Xiaxue's Gmail account and deleted 3000 emails in there. Many of those emails contain important information and contacts.
And then the hacker went into her Blogger account, and deleted 3 years worth of work, 12 blogs in total.
If I am not wrong, this falls under the Computer Misuse Act and is possibly criminal.
This totally sucks. Whether you like Xiaxue or not, or approve of her writing, this is an absolutely evil thing to do to anyone. I hope they catch the asshole who did this.
On a cautionary note, do use a password that is not easy to break, especially with your important email accounts. Avoid using your birthdate, IC number, or anything that is associated with you. Have some numbers and special characters in your password to fight against dictionary attacks.
- Don't use passwords that are based on personal information that can be easily accessed or guessed
- Don't use words that can be found in any dictionary of any language
- Develop a mnemonic for remembering complex passwords
- Use both lowercase and capital letters
- Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters
- Use different passwords on different systems
Lastly, backup your email and blog. You can use a site sucker to download a copy of your blog.