2. SMRT/TIBS bus drivers aim for cyclists, for fun. Bendy buses are of the devil.
3. You can never have too many lights.
4. I know how to deal with a puncture, but I'd rather pay the nice uncle do a better job of it. I also have one less inner tube and repair kit to carry.
5. It's not as far as you think.
6. The sun, the rain, the traffic, the danger, the distance, are all in your mind.
7. Work is the 12 hours between my rides.
8. You are faster than public transport. And during rush hour, even cars. It is fun to ride past cars in gridlock in the morning.
9. It is cheaper to take a dump than to spend $500 losing 200 grams off your bike.
10. Park connectors are designed by people who don't ride bicycles. I appreciate the ability to ride to parks, but I'd rather ride into town, thank you very much.
11. The speed bumps at East Coast Park are designed to kill you. No, really. Who designs speed bumps so small and high that you hurt your balls no matter what speed you ride over them?
12. Sweat dries. It's not a big deal. Just carry a packet of wet wipes and a change of t-shirt.
13. Sweat doesn't stink, it's just salty. Germs are what make you stink when you sweat. Take a shower before riding to work.
14. Use sun block when riding at high noon or you will bake while waiting for the lights at Nicoll Highway.
15. Eye protection is not (just) for looking cool but for stopping glare and bird shit from hitting your eyes.
16. Birds CAN aim at moving cyclists.
17. It rains only when you forget to pack the rain gear that day.
18. You progressively carry less and less the more you ride. Until you are down to mobile phone, keys, wallet and a packet of 3-ply tissues.
19. You think gloves are dorky until you had your first bad fall and your palms sandpaper the tarmac.
20. You think helmets are dorky until you fly over your handlebars and hit your helmeted head.
21. It is not possible to convince the wife that $180 is a bargain for a helmet that is 50 grams lighter and has more vents for ventilation.
22. Helmets and gloves are no substitute for defensive riding and being alert to traffic conditions.
23. You don't need lycra to ride for commutes. But if that rocks your boat, more power to you. Dry-weave textiles are nice for riding though.
24. Your world does not end when you sell your car. The kids do not wither and become jelly either.
25. Drain covers with grills can totally mess you up. Especially if you have skinny tires.
26. Don't ride too far left. Ride along or even just outside the second line of the double yellow line even if it pisses off that driver behind you. You need to have some room to maneuver if cars come too close and there are also debris and drains to avoid.
27. Mirrors rule. They help you see the bus planning to drive 2cm from you as he overtakes you.
28. The Airzounds air horn rules. The look on a driver's face when a bicycle horns back as loudly is priceless.
29. Pavements are more dangerous than roads.
30. It's the journey, not the destination that matters more.