It was fun watching the annual 3-hour extravangaza that is the National Day Rally by PM Lee Hsien Loong and tweeting at the same time. The rally even ended with the song "Home" by Kit Chan. I half expected them to shoot some major fireworks to end it with a bang.
Anyways, I had so much fun on twitter that I thought I'd share some of my National Day Rally tweets and those of others. You can read more at this hashtag, #ndrsg:
- @mrbrown: Rapturous applause breaks out at the end of the Chinese segment of PM Lee's National Day Rally. Audience toilet break!
- @mrbrown: Canada welcomes immigrants, so Microsoft hires talent there. Canada, as we all know, is the same size as Singapore.
- @mrbrown: Had to take a break from PM's speech to help kid wash backside after poopoo. Back to tv. Yep, PM still on immigrants.
- @coughybean: They changed the translator!! The previous one mentioned 生产孩子？ manufacturing kids? Wahahahah!!
- @coughybean: #NDRsg hits two-hour mark without a single unexpected twist, closely resembling every M. Night Shyamalan movie this decade.
- @ilovemudding:"At least if you miss one, the next train will come in a few minutes" #statingtheobvious
- @_danielchoo: Raise the transport charges and ask for patience. Genius.
- @kkyz13: 1 extra train for morning rush hour! OMG ONE EXTRA TRAIN!!! OMG I WET MYSELF IN EXCITEMENT. *sarcasm* (I passed him a twitter tissue, just in case)
- @yuhui: Singapore growth rate: 2008: 1%, 2009: -1%, 2010: projected 15%. PM Lee says that makes it average 5%. Lots of analysts are ROFLMAO.
- @mrbrown: Personally I feel PM's speech will be better with Keynote instead of PowerPoint… and of course, Bobbi's Pole Dancers.
- @mrbrown: I tell you what. Here is $9000, I put into the government's CPF account, then we forget about the National Service. Deal?
- @fakestcom: Breaking news: The next National Day Rally will be in one year's time. (Frankly, I feel that very day should be NDR. 3 hours of tv settled.)
- @mrbrown: http://mrbrwn.co/dpNg9o Best paid political leader in the world tells his people to lower wage expectations.
- @mrbrown: Don't worry PM! This month got many Singapore Spirit, watching getai & feasting! Sure thrive! http://mrbrwn.co/a3BAJR
- @Fake_PMLee: MPs cheer #NDRsg speech. Yes, I expect nothing less from them.
- @natashannz: The #ndrsg rally seems so much more interesting on twitter than on tv!
- @csllim: aiya, just simply say "I want you all to do it without rubber"
- @jenny_0326: Is it just me or did this year's National Day Rally sound like all the NDRs I've heard over the past 5 years? #singapore #ndrsg
- @k0pio: how come this year's #ndrsg no mee siam mai hum
- @huiminchan: Wonder what we will say to the next generation: 'You don't know hardship, during my time we only have one train every 2 min.'
- @WhispersWW: PM should be proud of SG population if #ndrsg timeline is anything to go by-creativity, humour & expression r vital in a thriving society
- @esotism: it would be so awesome if all #NDRSG tweets appeared on a huge screen behind the PM on TV
- @rheumatic_anus: @Fake_PMLee I think you should explain further that the ONE extra train during peak hour is actually a very very very long train.
- @rheumatic_anus: The best way to integrate immigrants with citizens is to intercourse them.
- @kixes: Did the PM say that the 4 races of SGP are Chinese, Indians, Malays and The Others?! I KNEW IT, WE ARE THE ISLAND OF LOST!
- @WhispersWW: Thoroughly enjoyed the #ndrsg timeline! Ironic, humorous, biting, observant and just plain expressive, engaging & interactive :-D
- @AdrC82: Why this year no Jack Neo mentioned in #NDRSG 2010?
And finally, the tweet that made it to Top Tweets for #ndrsg (tankew tankew to all who retweeted):
@mrbrown: blahblahblah Foreigners good for us blahblah Foreigners good blahblah Make babies blahblah We need foreigners #ndrsg summarized