SM Goh said in this speech that "it is important that we do not complain too much" and to think of the poor.
Singaporeans who complain about crowded trains, the lack of carpark spaces and public housing should think of the poor who struggle to make a living, said Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong yesterday.
Urging Singaporeans to put these challenges 'into perspective with the overall needs of our society', he noted that there are still the poor and disabled who need help.
He said: 'It is important that we do not complain too much when we can't get the house that we want, we can't get the carpark that we want, when the MRT trains are a little crowded.
'We are in fact quite fortunate. These are problems created by our own success. There are many people who are not able to benefit from our overall success. Just remember them as we also try to solve our problems at the top end.'
Inspired by his wisdom, I went forth to look for tweets that needed to be reminded of this fact and tagged the tweets with #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch.
Feel free to join in the fun.
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @tengkuzahirah SBS should do something about the frequency of feeder buses in the am. 2 have come and gone; both packed like sardines. \=
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @Cherubie It's only Tuesday! Argh!
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @graceyeoo Wahlao just wait for the next train lah, only 3 more mins. Don't need to shove right wahlao >:@ overpopulation leads to frustration!!!
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @vincentliu_bear Seems to me that the garmen is the one doing a lot of compraining lately.
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @kixes When you have to French-kiss a stranger on the MRT, think of the rich and their chauffeurs. Like SM Goh.
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @donaldsng Im so gonna be late if the bus doesnt come any sooner...
- #smgohsaysdontcomplaintoomuch RT @allonlim Left house early for exam at 9. But the SMRT bus got delayed. Now I'm late. So whose fault now? TELL ME.