Coffeeshop aunties have a thankless job, and the best of them are like walking computers, able to remember your order without batting an eyelid. One of my favourite coffeeshop aunties even knew what I was going to order, depending on the time of the day (I take one drink at breakfast, and another during lunch). A nod from me was all she needed.
However, we have also met coffeeshop aunties that don't quite make the grade.
Signs your Coffeeshop Auntie is Fail:
1. @mrbrown: Forgets your face 10 seconds after you ordered & wanders around asking everyone who ordered the drink.
2. @mrbrown: Hears Coke when you order Oolong.
3. @mrbrown: Doesn't respond to "Kopi Ah!".
4. @Matthro: Mine hears cock when I say Coke… "ONE COCKKKKK!!"
5. @HeelHooked: Comes to my 12-year-old bro and asks whether want Tiger.
6. @JadeArlindita: Mine heard kaya toast when I ordered Coke Light.
7. @Gingerbreadpapa: Mine takes my order of teh-peng, comes back 10 seconds later to confirm order of teh-peng, and then brought me a barley in the end.
8. @Atomilk: Order cold can of Pepsi but hot cup of Teh-Si comes.
9. @natalagolamoon: Treating Coke as Pepsi and 7-up as Sprite.
10. @mrbrown: You ask for Qoo, she says don't have, and offers 100 Plus as a replacement.
11. @kelvink: Order iced milo and get asked '烧的冷的？' (Hot or cold one?)
12. @Eiusine: Order 2 cups of Kopi Siew Tai, comes with 2 Kopi and Siew Mai.
13. @Vizzay_: I order a kopi & she forces me to buy an already made teh that she made by mistake earlier on. (Actually, that is a powerful sales skill -mb)
14. @longadin: You ask for Whatever, she gives you Anything.
15. @kelvink: You give her $1 coin for your 80 cents kopi & she glares at you "没有散钱 meh??" ("No small change??")
16. @roykwok22: You order "teh yi ge, dabao" (one tea, take away), she give you 1 packet tea and 1 big pau.
For all their mistakes, I think most of us will still buy from them, will never scold them even when the drink orders come wrong, and will never complain to their boss because it may cost them their job.
Because coffeeshop aunties hold a special place in our hearts.