[video of WP celebrations at Blk 322, by Brendon Fernandez on Twitvid]
The results are in for the Hougang By-election:
PAP's Desmond Choo: 8,210 votes
WP's Png Eng Huat: 13,447 votes
Total cast: 21,951
Workers' Party retains Hougang, losing 2% from their GE2011 performance. 62.09% WP, 37.91% PAP. Congratulations are in order, Workers' Party.
DPM Teo Chee Hean was quoted as saying, "Hougang is not representative of other parts of Singapore". To which @miyagi replied, "Neither are you, DPM Teo."
Yam Ah Mee tonight quite slack ah. Only need to come out one time.
Adri (@skinnylatte) asked of the CNA tv coverage: "How come now must talk about how Desmond Choo has improved, when he hasn't won? Why ah?"
I concur. The way tv news was covering it, you'd think the PAP won Hougang back.
AFP reported the results with the headline: Singapore ruling party rebuffed in by-election
Cherian George has a very good write-up entitled: BEYOND HOUGANG: WHAT THE BY-ELECTION MEANS FOR 2016
(Cherian, your article is very good but the title don't need to be ALL CAPS leh)
What is amazing is that despite the Yaw scandal, the leaks, the character assassinations, Hougang stood firm and steadfast with Workers' Party and ceded just 2%.
You have to be on the ground to feel their loyalty. When you think about it, in Hougang, the Workers' Party IS the Ruling Party.
My twitter friends and I had fun playing Guess the MSM Headlines for the Hougang By-election. Let's play the #GuessTheHeadlines Game!:
1. @mrbrown: PAP wins more votes in Hougang this time. #GuessTheHeadlines
2. @mrbrown: Support for WP in Hougang slips #GuessTheHeadlines
3. @mrbrown: Hougang Voters Deliver Stinging Rebuke to WP #GuessTheHeadlines
4. @mrbrown: Desmond Choo Wins Over More of Hougang Voters #GuessTheHeadlines
5. @FlareonRRRAGE: Png steals Hougang seat from Choo amidst questions of integrity #GuessTheHeadlines
6. @FlareonRRRAGE: Switzerland beats Germany 3-2 in Eurovision #GuessTheHeadlines
7. @liangkaixin: Png Eng Huat wins Hougang seat by 35% (oh this wouldn't happen??) #GuessTheHeadlines
8. @ErwinIsHungry: Support for PAP increases despite loss #GuessTheHeadlines
9. @ackabr: WPs lose influence in Hougang #GuessTheHeadlines
10. @crazycoolidge: Stunning upset for WP as PAP makes huge gains #GuessTheHeadlines
11. @aeszr: PAP comes ever closer to winning back Hougang #GuessTheHeadlines
12. @saynotospandex: Singaporeans choose WP even though PAP's Desmond Choo never had an affair #GuessTheHeadlines
13. @miyagi: Desmond Choo's grassroots work pays off: WP handed hefty swing in votes against them #GuessTheHeadlines
14. @kevlars: Hougang ceded to JB #GuessTheHeadlines
15. @fakeSMRT: Desmond Choo puts up strong fight. winning more votes for PAP #GuessTheHeadlines
16. @TommyWee: Hougang's Resolve Will Crumble By 2020, Won't Stay A Ghetto Forever #GuessTheHeadlines
17. @Eurieth: Png wins seat amid character and integrity allegations #GuessTheHeadlines
@lupcheong reminded us of the BPL fiasco, when he tweeted: "Luckily the Hougang By-election wasn't on MiO TV, otherwise we'd only know the results tomorrow."