A government White Paper projected that Singapore could reach 6.9 million population by 2030, with foreigners making up nearly half of that.
What would Seven Million in Singapore look like?
1. Your HDB flat will be near the MRT… next to the underground tunnels.
2. Off-peak hours for public transport will be 1am to 5am.
3. You won't need to give up your seats to the elderly passengers on trains anymore. There won't be any.
4. Getting a place for your kid in the school of your choice will be a televised national bloodsport.
5. Your homes will come with an extra bedroom. It used to be called the storeroom.
6. Shoebox apartments will really be the size of shoeboxes.
7. @rainnabe: If everyone spits at the same time, there will be a flash flood.
8. Pulau Tekong will be the next Punggol New Town.
9. @sakkksak: In Singapore, people don't take to the streets to protest. They trend #SevenMillionInSingapore on Twitter instead. (Streets no space mah -mb)
10. [email protected] will be remembered as a quaint little building from a time when HDB flats were only 50 storeys high.
11. @ShunfuMart: Better probability that at least one person will want to have sex with you.
12. @BumBait: #SevenMillionInSingapore PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE stay away from Serangoon Gardens TYVM (Serangoon Gdns will be the first to go lor. -mb)
13. In 2030, it will be illegal to take public transport without using underarm deodorant.
14. If we all farted at once, the methane produced would delete the ozone layer above Singapore.
15. @josephgohkk: If we all dig nose at the same time, the pisai will be enough to block a MRT tunnel.
16. @direcow: Every road junction is an illegal gathering.
17. We will find out at 2030 that gahmen thinks we can actually do eight million, or eighteen, even.
18. Nice timing hor. After Punggol East by-election then announce white paper for Seven Million in Singapore.
19. Before Punggol East by-election: "Look, shiny new MRT lines by 2030!"
After Punggol East by-election: "…needed for Seven Million in Singapore."