Faith loves music. Autism and the lack of speech have never stopped her from humming her favorite tunes. We've heard her hum "Doe a Deer" from The Sound of Music, "Here I Am to Worship" by Tim Hughes and "Rather Be" by Clean Bandit. I know, my daughter has very diverse music tastes.
But yesterday, while I was driving the family home from church, I heard a voice behind me singing loud and clear. "Haaaaa Leh Luuuuu Yaaaaaah."
There was a moment of shocked silence in the car, then Isaac and Joy freaked out, "Cheh Cheh is singing!"
We had just sung this in the morning service and it was the song Agnus Dei.
The wife and I joined in, and sang the rest of the song for Faith, while she just smiled from her seat in the car.
For the Lord God Almighty reigns
For the Lord God Almighty reigns
Holy are You Lord God Almighty
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb
You are holy
Holy are you Lord God Almighty
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb
You spend more than 14 years waiting for words from your autistic daughter, and the first word she sings is "Alleluia".
Here is the song, if you want to have a listen. This other version is also very nice.
We need a new hotline for the gentle of soul.
Download or listen via the Soundcloud player above or the mrbrown server below:
Fans. They stand there, doing their jobs, stoically and without complaint, keeping us cool in this blasted heat. They either work or they don’t. I say this because my air-conditioner was leaking and we did not have air-conditioning for a week, so we had to rely on our fan. And boy, did we appreciate our fan.
We have gone through a few fans in the decades living in our flat. We bought so many brands, mostly cheaper ones. Inevitably, the cheapo brands let us down. Either the weak plastic blades did not generate strong enough wind, or one of our industrial-strength metal fans would become super noisy after the kids pushed it down accidentally while playing.
At one point, I threw out TWO industrial-strength fans costing some $250 each, because I could not stand the noise anymore.
You can tell I have much experience with fans.
Then one day, I said, forget it. I am going back to the fan that my mother and her mother owned. Good old KDK fans. I bought one to test. Still good and strong. I went home, and threw out the remaining cheapo fan I owned, and bought a second KDK, same model.
This touching video from KDK brought back memories of the times we spent making robot sounds in front of our fans. It was great for doing the Cylon voice from Battlestar Galactica too (“BY YOUR COMMAND.”), and I mean the old one starring Lorne Greene.
YouTube link: https://youtu.be/in-ymwb3-ws
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/kdkleaderinfantechnology/videos/857207521036933/
Good times and good memories, man. Even the Cantonese dialogue.
KDK is celebrating family unity and love on this SG50, and honouring the nation’s golden jubilee. Share your treasured moments at the KDK Treasured Moments site, and win exclusive prizes and 6 invitations to a private screening of 1965! Details at www.kdk.sg/treasuredmoments/
I took Mom to watch the West End production of Singing in the Rain at MBS and boy, did we both enjoy it. Maybe I am an old soul but I love the old school musicals.
Sure, mom and I are familiar with and adore the Gene Kelly and Debbie Reynolds movie version but the stage version has its own charm.
We also enjoyed watching the front rows frantically putting on their supplied raincoats when the Singing in the Rain number happened. Every deliberate kick of the dancers sent water splashing into the audience, and there were squeals of delight.
Once I got back to the car, I added both the movie and stage versions of the music into my Apple Music collection. Why don't they make music like this any more?
The wife had to put up with with me singing "You are My Lucky Star" and "Good Morning" for the next few days.
Singing in the Rain is on from 9 Jul till 2 Aug 2015, at MasterCard Theatres at Marina Bay Sands.
(All photos here taken by me.)
A Bengster Honda Civic turbos loudly and aggressively past my car along Tampines Avenue 2, after we make a u-turn.
"Kids, wanna see Papa beat that sports car?" I said.
I proceed to drive at a pokey 50kmh and catch up with him at the next traffic light. The kids yay.
He turbos off again when the light turns green… and gets stuck behind a truck that had stopped along the left lane.
We overtake him in our pokey car at our pokey pace once more, because we were slow enough to filter early. The kids yay again.
"What's the lesson for the evening, kids?" I ask.
"Drive safely!" Isaac declared.
"Slow and steady wins the race!" said Joy.
"Yes kiddos, and don't drive like a moron thinking you are in F1."
"Maybe his kind of car engine is must drive like that leh?" said the wife with a straight face.
I am not sure if she is being sincere or being snarky.
(Yes, I know I look thinner in this photo. This photo was taken long ago, at the peak of my F1 driving career.)
YouTube link: http://mrbrwn.co/1L1adWh
Marvel's Ant-Man in cinemas 16 July.
According to Mr Miyagi, one of the REAL SingPass security questions is "What is your childhood nickname?" That is probably not a great question because most of us were probably called Si Geena, Suei Chai, Ah Boy or Ah Girl.
Here are some new suggestions from my readers and me:
1. @mrbrown: "Name your father's favorite drink when he is in the Katong pub area and what shirt he likes to wear on Mondays." #PossibleSingPassQuestions
2. @Decade78: "How much do you think Roy Ngerng will have to pay PM Lee?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
3. @PhantomNuts: "Where were you when you had your first MRT breakdown?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
4. @PhantomNuts: "Which is your favourite ERP gantry?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
5. @mrbrown: "What brand of toilet paper do you wipe your ass with?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
@miyagi: "The name your mother gave you when you failed your Chinese exam for the second time" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
6. @liverpool_98: "Which food centre has the best Chai Tau Kway" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
7. @marc_lee: "Have you ever chewed chewing gum?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
8. @adesabrina: "What was your PSLE score?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
9. @Decade78: "What is the name of your wife's father's third uncle's sister’s husband’s grandfather?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
10. @mrbrown: "Where did your mother and father conceive you?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
11. @miyagi: "The name your mother gave you when you failed your Chinese exam for the second time" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
12. @squidcrackers: "Ah Di, ai lim simi zui?" (Boy, what you want to drink ah?) #PossibleSingPassQuestions
13. @mrbrown: "What is Cheryl's birthday?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
14. @mrbrown: "What Hokkien vulgarity do you use when someone cuts into your lane without signaling?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
@lupcheong: In the event of a train breakdown, what colour cable ties are best? #PossibleSingpassQuestions
15. @extro_introvert: "What is the product of your initial NAPFA score multiplied by your latest IPPT diagnostic?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
16. @eugeneyap: "Will you be able to withdraw your CPF?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
17. @mrbrown: "Which of your siblings does your mother call you by mistake before she finally calls you by your correct name?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
18. @teoszepin: "Name three HDB carpark which will not have Electronics Parking System installed by the end of the year 2016." #PossibleSingPassQuestions
19. @imAnsonNg: "Who is the blogfather of Singapore?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
20. @adesabrina: "What is the difference between EC, DBSS and BTO?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
21. @mrbrown: "What is the maiden name of your mother's first car?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
22. @mrbrown: "What is the number of the first pager you ever owned?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
23. @dchieng: "Is it Roti Canai or Roti Prata?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
@WimpyLion: If Xiao Ming is 8 years old and Xiao Li is 7 years old how many tuition teachers do they have? #PossibleSingpassQuestions
24. @imAnsonNg: "Which is the most suay shopping mall in Singapore?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
25. @mrbrown: "Which episode did Jin Dafeng lose his eye in the 410-episode #夜市人生?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
26. @lupcheong: "If I leave the house at 7am to try to go to office early, what is the probability my NSL will tio stuck anyway?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
27. @lupcheong: "If Gu Long promise to meet xIaOZbiTChZ~ at 2pm in Jurong, but he left AMK at 130, how hard will he kenah?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
28. @moemasri: "Who is the current Singapore Idol?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
29. @darrylho: "Which of PM Lee's pink shirts is your favourite?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
30. @mrbrown: "What is the maximum critical damage of a Phantom Assassin with a Skull Basher, Battle Fury and Black King Bar?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
31. @mrbrown: "What is the price you last paid for a D24 durian at the current Ringgit-SGD exchange rate?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
32. @BurgerKiang: "Name the floors your HDB lift use to stop before Neighbourhood Renewal Programme" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
@darrylho: "Which of PM Lee's pink shirts is your favourite?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
33. @lupcheong: "Do you know when I started writing my blog? Do you know how many articles I've written" PossibleSingPassQuestions
34. @ShunfuMart: "Diana Ser or Wong Li Lin?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
35. @WimpyLion: "If Xiao Ming is 8 years old and Xiao Li is 7 years old how many tuition teachers do they have?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
36. @judacris: "Track fault is whose fault?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
37. @SG50: "If u order Milo peng without ice is it still Milo peng?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
38. @onthetelegraph: @mrbrown's hashtags are as good as @jimmyfallon's and that's saying something #PossibleSingPassQuestions (Thank you! -mb)
39. @mrbrown: "How long before @TwitterSG decides to verify @mrbrown and Mr @Miyagi?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
40. @mrbrown: "Which XMM Blogger do you secretly follow?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
41. @eisen: "Name a member of Singapore's natural aristocracy." #PossibleSingPassQuestions
"Which of your siblings does your mother call you by mistake before she finally calls you by your correct name?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
42. @joleeqh: "What Is Mee Siam Mai Hum?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
43. @lupcheong: "In the event of a train breakdown, what colour cable ties are best?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
44. @mrbrown: "Is it time to buy an oven?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
45. @MCCYsg: "Which has more sugar, Kopi-gah-dai or Kopi-gao?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
46. @karlieeuh: "What did you have to do to get your child into the primary school of your choice?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
47. @kuekj: "Which route is longer, bus 51 or 61?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
48. @mrbrown: "Mee Pok or Mee Kia?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
49. @sgnextbus: "How long do I really need to wait, when bus ETA is 20m?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
@mrbrown: "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
50. @WimpyLion: "Why you say you tell me you don't want tur kwa when you didn't say you don't want tur kwa?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
51. @alexischeong: Chili? #PossibleSingPassQuestions
52. @mrbrown: "NTUC member card?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
53. @zokizowi: Who founded the Lee Foundation? #PossibleSingPassQuestions
54. @mrbrown: "How many more years can you drive your current car before you scrap it and won't be able to afford a new COE?" #PossibleSingPassQuestions
55. @mrbrown: "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
56. @adesabrina: "Hello. Passion card member?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
57. @ArvinTunas: "If the circle line doesn't actually goes in a circle, does it still called a circle?" #PossibleSingpassQuestions
58. @nicshields: "Name all Tans who ran for president." #PossibleSingpassQuestions
I've been trying out the new Dell XPS 13 and liking it so far. It is probably the best Windows Ultrabook around. I love the 3200x1800 InfinityEdge screen and the slim 11-icn form factor.
The other item is my hand is a 12,000mAh Dell Power Companion battery that can charge your USB devices or the XPS 13 itself.
My model is the Quad HD+ display with touchscreen. The specs are great (mine is a 5th generation i7-5500u processor with an Intel HD Graphics 5500 GPU) and all the ports you need are there.
Build quality is excellent and touchscreen lets you make the best of the Windows 8 experience (though I have to tell you I am still fonder of Windows 7).
The battery life is very good but bear in mind that if you use the XPS 13 display at its high brightness setting, you will get about 6-7 hours instead of the 10 hours in the low brightness setting. It's a trade-off you have to decide for yourself. Use the XPS 13 with its glorious display at full tilt or try to save some juice for a long flight.
Some small gripes: I only wish it were a tad lighter. It is 1.26kg for mine, and 1.18kg for the non-touchscreen version. I know, I'm being demanding but at my age, every gram can be felt.
I also took a while to get used to the trackpad. I find the webcam position at the bottom left a bit awkward but if you want an edge-to-edge screen, something has to give, I suppose.
Also, bear in mind that 8GB RAM is the max you can get in this laptop.
If you are looking for a Windows laptop with a 13-inch display in an 11-inch body, this is it. This is a very well-rounded workhorse PC laptop.
Finally, I caught #JurassicWorld. Front part was draggy. Only fun when Chris Pratt and the Indominus Rex showed up. Then the action was awesome. Less talk, more teeth, I always say.
It was way better than Jurassic Park III but the first one still the best.
So is the Indominus a cross between a T-Rex and Indomie?
There were so many unnecessary moments. Like the guy in the control room. What does he contribute to the movie except his one key moment?
And why is the ruthless scientist and the cavalier millionaire CEO Asian? Are there no good guy Asians in this movie?
And really? Nobody thinks it's a bad idea to go to a theme park with real dinosaurs? I mean, you go to the Bird Park and that's one thing. But the flying creatures in THIS park EAT people!
I have to confess something. I was actually cheering for the dinosaurs. I know, it's twisted. Go dinos!