Isaac and Joy are currently on a road trip with me in Japan. We discuss things on the long drives.
Someone sent me this note allegedly written by someone affected by the recent move by the authorities to ban PMDs from footpaths, a ban that was announced on 4th November 2019 and was effective the next day. It was announced by Minister Lam PMD Min.
The issue of PMDs is a polarizing one, with some calling for a ban, others calling for regulation but not ban, and yet others calling for the authorities to maintain the status quo.
I got my youngest to read the post below out loud. And then my two kids and I had a discussion about it during our long drive, covering topics like:
1. Should PMDs have been allowed in the first place without infrastructure and legislation?
2. Was the PMD issue handled with the right wisdom and speed?
3. The impact the ban has had on livelihoods.
4. The impact PMDs has had on pedestrian safety.
5. The importance of personal financial responsibility.
6. What is the Locus of Control? (People who develop an internal locus of control believe that they are responsible for their own success. Those with an external locus of control believe that external forces, like luck, determine their outcomes.)
7. Should the government help those impacted by this ban and if so, how can it help mitigate things?
8. What other options are there for food delivery employees?
9. Who should take the blame for this fiasco? The government? The errant users? The retailers who imported these devices? The companies who encouraged the use of these devices in their food delivery business?
10. The tradeoffs between working in a job that pays less but has more stability, and working in a job that pays more but has less certainty.
11. The viability, benefits, and risks of the gig economy.
12. The tradeoff between having CPF and not having it.
13. The cost of housing.
I had a good discussion with my teens on this matter. I trust there will be many views here too. Keep it respectful please. Thanks.
“I am an ITE graduate who previously work in office job, it paid me $2,200 every month, no 13th month, no bonus, 3 days MC.
Since Grabfood come along, with my trusty PMD, I earn $3,500 every month.
Now overnight, my PMD is illegal and I cannot use it for daily work.
With my $3,500 salary, I thought it was good time to start family, I can provide for my baby. Combine with my wife $2000 salary, we buy $250,000 BTO in CCK.
Now my income suddenly become zero, if I go back old job, it drop by $1,300 every month, I have baby that need diaper, need milk powder, need infant care, now my expense is more than my income.
Govt ask me to buy certified UL2272 PMD, I support and follow.
Govt ask me be careful while riding on the footpath, I careful. Never hit anyone or get into argument before in my 2 year as PMD rider.
Govt tell me to register PMD, I register.
Govt ask me to have stable proper job, I found one.
Govt ask me to have children, I agree and have kid.
I do everything you ask me to, but you still ban me from doing my job, a good job that pay me well. Now my children childcare fee how? Now their daily expense how? Overnight my salary cut by 30%, how can I be a good father to raise my children responsibly?
I want to be good citizen and help the country by being employ and by having children.
I want to help my country, but now my country don't want to help me.
Tell me what I should do now? With one speech now my income drop so much, if I am irresponsible rider, u penalty me I nothing to say. I am safe delivery rider but I pay price for those YP black sheep.
How I face my wife now, how I tell my children I cannot bring them go out enjoy some family excursion?
Sad to be a loyal Singaporean. I want to be loyal but there is no care for me.
Written by: M Siva, Grabfood PMD rider since 2018”